[tpm] problems with what regex returns ... in context ?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Sat May 11 01:14:27 PDT 2013

On Fri, 10 May 2013 11:23:54 -0400
Carlo Costantini <fifteen3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Because I was following along and thought others might be following as well.
> I thought I would summarize what you discovered to help you with this
> situation.
>
> After looking up $+. I saw that there is also $& which has the string of the
> last pattern match.

Regarding $&, see its entry in http://perldoc.perl.org/perlvar.html :

< QUOTE >

$MATCH
$&

The string matched by the last successful pattern match (not counting any
matches hidden within a BLOCK or eval() enclosed by the current BLOCK).

The use of this variable anywhere in a program imposes a considerable
performance penalty on all regular expression matches. To avoid this penalty,
you can extract the same substring by using @-. Starting with Perl 5.10, you
can use the /p match flag and the ${^MATCH} variable to do the same thing for
particular match operations.

This variable is read-only and dynamically-scoped.

Mnemonic: like & in some editors.

< / QUOTE >

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish