[tpm] Cross-border contracting

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Wed Jul 31 11:32:40 PDT 2013

You *really* need to speak to a certified accountant. These are not 
small questions and the answers have non-trivial legal implications. You 
should not rely on the advice of lay-public for this, no matter how 
otherwise-talented the giver of advice may be.

If you don't have a CA, I can give you the name of my CA. Alternatively, 
ask anyone in business who you trust for their CA's contact information.

Good luck and congrats on the contract!


On 31/07/13 14:10, Chris Reuter wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I seem to have gotten a small contract with an American company.
> Since a lot of people here do cross-border contracting, I was hoping
> to get some advice.
> My specific questions are (in no particular order):
> 1. Should I incorporate?
> 2. Is it true that I can operate a sole proprietorship in my own name
> without needing to register anything?
> 3. Will I need to charge the customer (who is American) HST?  (The
> point is moot right now because it's not enough money to qualify, but
> I'm curious.)
> 4. Is there a preferred method of payment?
> 5. Do I need insurance?
> 6. Are there any tax gotchas I need to watch out for?
> 7. Do you have any other advice and/or pointers to resources?
> Thanks in advance,
>                                --Chris
> _______________________________________________
> toronto-pm mailing list
> toronto-pm at pm.org
> http://mail.pm.org/mailman/listinfo/toronto-pm

Papers and Projects: https://alteeve.ca/w/
What if the cure for cancer is trapped in the mind of a person without 
access to education?

More information about the toronto-pm mailing list