[tpm] Cross-border contracting

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Wed Jul 31 11:32:40 PDT 2013

You *really* need to speak to a certified accountant. These are not
small questions and the answers have non-trivial legal implications. You
should not rely on the advice of lay-public for this, no matter how
otherwise-talented the giver of advice may be.

If you don't have a CA, I can give you the name of my CA. Alternatively,
ask anyone in business who you trust for their CA's contact information.

Good luck and congrats on the contract!

digimer

On 31/07/13 14:10, Chris Reuter wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I seem to have gotten a small contract with an American company.
> Since a lot of people here do cross-border contracting, I was hoping
> to get some advice.
>
> My specific questions are (in no particular order):
>
> 1. Should I incorporate?
>
> 2. Is it true that I can operate a sole proprietorship in my own name
> without needing to register anything?
>
> 3. Will I need to charge the customer (who is American) HST?  (The
> point is moot right now because it's not enough money to qualify, but
> I'm curious.)
>
> 4. Is there a preferred method of payment?
>
> 5. Do I need insurance?
>
> 6. Are there any tax gotchas I need to watch out for?
>
> 7. Do you have any other advice and/or pointers to resources?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

>                                --Chris

Digimer
access to education?