[tpm] Fwd: [Boston.pm] Perl community "The Rising Costs of Aging Perlers"

Adam Prime adam.prime at utoronto.ca
Wed Jul 24 08:56:28 PDT 2013

On 13-07-24 11:35 AM, arocker at Vex.Net wrote:

> With the rate at which the flavour-of-the-month in Web techniques changes,
> it's sheer coincidence if one finishes a project with a detailed knowledge
> of the tools and processes favoured for the next one.
>
> Surely, the real skill is knowing how to pick up and learn use new tools,
> without having to sit passively in front of an instructor? That's what the
> schooling industry claims to teach, and conspicuously doesn't.
> Unfortunately, this skill doesn't seem to have a name that a recruiter
> will recognise.

Yes. Web moves fast. Perl is moving fast these days too. When we're
hiring we're looking less for resume's with the right list of tools and
languages on them, and more for people that are smart, adaptable, and
interesting in learning the tools we use, as well as the tools we don't
use yet.

That said, I wouldn't learn any tool explicitly unless you have a use
for them personally. Instead, I'd learn enough JS to be dangerous, as
Olaf put it. I'd suggest starting with "Javascript: The Good Parts",
because I like books that have animals on them.

The vast majority of "flavour of the month" tools these days are front
end JS frameworks (at least imo). If you know JS, and are a competent
developer you should be able to pick up any of the various frameworks
out there in a few days to a few weeks.

Adam