[tpm] Fwd: [Boston.pm] Perl community "The Rising Costs of Aging Perlers"

Adam Prime adam.prime at utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 23 09:15:08 PDT 2013

On 13-07-23 10:59 AM, arocker at Vex.Net wrote:
> I agree with the article. I'd like to know how Python manages to attract
> new recruits, because it doesn't seem to have the same problems.
>
> I'd be happy to train new recruits, (preferably for money), but apart from
> India, where are they? (Frankly, given the current job market, it's hard
> to justify recommending anyone become a programmer.)
>
> There's also the problem that it's better to be paid a modest salary than
> not hired at a higher one. $50,000 or so/year would look very attractive
> at the moment.

 From a hiring perspective, it's not easy to find "intermediate" "perl"
people. It's pretty easy to find smart people with little to no perl.
It's a little harder to find people in that camp that are interested
and/or willing to learn perl. It's somewhat challenging to find people
that are strong in perl and "senior", and it's even more difficult to
find people like that that are actually looking for a job.

There are tons of people hiring programmers in toronto right now, but
many of them are very particular about the kind of people they are
hiring. If you're a well rounded web programmer with a few years
experience, I don't think you should have much trouble finding a job
right now.  I may have a skewed opinion about what 'well rounded' means
though.  Also, outside if web, i have no idea.  Jobs writing crons for
banks are probably pretty hard to come by these days.

Adam