[tpm] This month's meeting

Olaf Alders olaf.alders at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 12:14:38 PST 2013

On 2013-01-24, at 2:31 PM, J. Bobby Lopez wrote:

> A few disjointed thoughts I've had recently (topics that I personally find interesting):
>
> 	• Discussing the meeting topics in general, with focus on tackling modern problems and projects with Perl
> 		• i.e:  Concurrency problems; making DBIx::Class's auto-schema generator less error prone (w/r/t table names and relationships)
> 		• Moe is a great idea, but aside from fact that it will run on the JVM, and will have concurrency benefits because of Scala, what else would people be interested in using Moe for that may be difficult to do right now?

The way I understand it, the idea is really to build a language which doesn't have decades of cruft under the hood which is difficult for any one person to get an overview of.  So, remove the barriers to contribution which keep most of us from contributing to Perl.  There are lots of fun things you can also do, but I think the main argument really was that Perl5 as it stands, is a pain to maintain and maybe it doesn't have to be that way.

> 	• Making meetings more accessible to those who may not be able to be there physically.  Conf-call type setup with audio/video, and remote users providing input/feedback via some kind of messaging platform (twitter, email, irc)
> 		• This may have been discussed several times in the past, but with the emerging popularity of telecommute, and our interest in nurturing new (often younger) developers, we may want to do more to get with the (social) times.
> 		• Even if we can't come up with a solution for the next few meetings, a discussion still may be useful with an aim to have some new changes/improvements to how meetings are held going forward.  Tighter integration with the new TPM site is also be a possibility!

I don't know what can be done here.  At the very least, we could project #tpm via the projector and let people participate remotely.  Combined with an audio feed (like a Skype conference call), that could potentially be pretty interesting.

> Don't know if I'll be out this month, as my wife and I have a baby on the way (any day now... feel like I've been saying that for weeks), but just figured I'd help to further the discussion.

Congratulations.  :)

Olaf

--
Olaf Alders
olaf.alders at gmail.com

http://www.wundercounter.com
http://twitter.com/wundercounter

866 503 2204 (Toll free - North America)
416 944 8306 (direct)