[tpm] downloading 'filtered' gmail via imap

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 09:35:33 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Henry Baragar <
Henry.Baragar at instantiated.ca> wrote:

>  Fulko,
>
> Have you tried emptying the Trash before downloading?  Its possible that
> it can be accomplished using the EXPUNGE IMAP command.

Yes, but...
I wouldn't want to empty 'all' my trash (because I sort of use that as a
backup/history
that I occasionally refer back to (if Gmail hasn't auto-purged it yet after
its 30 day limit)).

And, Gmail has removed the (easy) way to permanently delete stuff from
Trash.
Ie.  If you can find the specific mail, you can delete it, but if you
search in the
Trash for the ones you are interested in, they no longer provide a delete
button.
(Others have complained about this already to Google... to no avail.)

So scrolling through 1700+ msgs in the Trash isn't practical, and their
search+delete
mechanism is broken.  So I'm looking for a (usable) alternative.