[tpm] Talk topics

Scott Elcomb psema4 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 12:12:51 PST 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Scott Elcomb <psema4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:02 PM,  <arocker at vex.net> wrote:

>> The human interface for a CNC machine would probably be practical in HTML
>> 5; I'm not so sure about actually controlling the machine itself.
>
> Controlling the machine itself with an HTML5 interface is indeed
> possible - I'm currently working with a team at Texas Instruments to
> do exactly this (not CNC specifically, but circuits in general).
>
> I'm not sure it can be done entirely client side unless/until the
> HTML5 Gamepad API gets force feedback or some other form of output
> support; should that happen, I think a server-less tool would also be
> possible.

I stumbled across the specification for this earlier today:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/CR-vibration-20120508/>.

Rather surprisingly, Firefox has supported it for quite some time:
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/DOM/window.navigator.vibrate>.
 Searching around I see mixed signals regarding support in Google
Chrome / Chromium, and other browsers do not appear to support it at
all.

> I'd be happy to put something together for the group, though I don't
> think I'd be able to make it out before November at the earliest.

I'm expecting several development boards to be delivered soon and
intend to expand on this idea a bit.  If the group's interested, I can
put a presentation together for spring or summer that covers some
practical HTML5 and some... uh... experimental stuff.  ;-)

--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more

  Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems