[tpm] OT: Are SSDs really worth purchasing to speed up our computing experience?

Antonio Sun antoniosun at lavabit.com
Wed May 30 20:53:55 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Dave Doyle <dave.s.doyle at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know what SSD means in this context?   Can anyone explain?
>>

> Solid State Drive.  Flash memory hard drive instead of the spinning disk.
> :)
>
> And for the record: SSD is a huge performance increase when you do
> ANYTHING I/O based.  I mean it.  My MBP flies.  Yes, it has a nicer
> processor than my old 'puter, but folks who have the same model and the
> traditional spinning disk HD have commented on the speed of my boot.

I still don't quite get why there is such performance boost.

So Stuart, your MacBook Air, and Dave, your MBP, do they only contain SSD,
not ordinary spinning disks?

investing in an SSD is the single most important
> thing you can do to improve the overall performance of your machine

For any old Linux box, with several TB of HD, will investing in an SSD
really make much different?

I think the only thing that SSD can help such box is to use the whole SSD
as swap. In such case, I don't think such setup will have much improvement
on boot up speed, or application startup time.

Just thinking out loud here. Anyone can help me out here?

Thanks