[tpm] Usage Based Billing - What you should know..

daniel at benoy.name daniel at benoy.name
Mon Jan 31 16:20:17 PST 2011

 Peak hour usage does require infrastructure improvements, which
 requires money which is best taken from the heaviest users.

 Charging per gig is not the answer, though.  A file sharer who pushes
 50k upload at all times throughout a month will do about 130GB of
 traffic per month.  Even though that's a trivial amount of bandwidth, it
 still results in a massive charge.  On the other hand, someone who
 watches netflix every day at peak hours might use only 30GB in the same
 month, but would put a much bigger strain on the network than the 50k
 file sharer.

 The billing method of '95th percentile' is what's most often used in
 bigger backbone connections (fiber lan extensions and the like) takes
 the bits per second of every given time period in a month, shave off the
 top 5 percent, and charges you based on that.  That way you're charged
 based on your speed usage, rather than your total transfer.  (And
 shaving off the top five percent prevents you from being charged lots
 just because you max out your connection for short times to download a
 file here or there)  This billing method, while not perfect, is a much
 better way of representing a user's actual cost to the infrastructure of
 the network, since it's likely that their peak usage times will match up
 to the provider's peak usage times.

 Also, I think the push by Bell/Rogers to charge UBB rates to third
 party ISPs is just an attempt to harm their competitors ability to do
 business, rather than trying to get a fair rate for network usage.  Bell
 could have said 'Third party providers, we'll charge you a reasonable
 95th percentile to cover the cost to our network, and it's up to you
 whether you want to pay for that by charging UBB to your customers, or
 give them unlimited access and pay with their subscription fees.' but
 instead they're taking their own exorbitant UBB rates and charging
 wholesalers 75% of that, giving them no recourse but to pass on the
 costs in the same f'dup way that Bell and Rogers do things.