[tpm] Mysterious problem

arocker at Vex.Net arocker at Vex.Net
Sat Jan 15 10:29:05 PST 2011

I seem to have encountered a strange problem with Perl's "move" command
(from File::Copy). (The qualification is due to the fact that I have not
directly observed the facts, only had them reported to me.)

When move is used to transfer a file from one directory to another (empty)
one, everything behaves as advertised. File appears in destination,
disappears from source.

If the file already exists in the destination directory, (a legitimate
situation for this program), the original does not get deleted, but the
move appears to have returned a "true" value. (I check it).

I can't report many of the facts one would usually seek in such a case,
such as permissions and ownerships, because I don't have access to the
testing machine.

Despite all the above hand-waving, has anybody encountered a problem like
this?