[tpm] Q: Which modules to use for mirroring a Windows tree, robustly and securely

Stuart Watt stuart at morungos.com
Tue Oct 5 09:12:44 PDT 2010

  I use File::Copy::Recursive, but it doesn't work fully.

Are you safe from long (> 256 character) pathnames and files containing
non-ASCII characters? These are a nightmare on Windows (possible, but
with dirty tricks internally), and as far as I can tell, Perl doesn't
like them anyway. I am planning to make some Perl patches to handle
long/UTF-8 pathnames transparently on Windows.

Apart from these issues, File::Copy::Recursive isn't bad. But it isn't
mirroring, I suppose.

I did find that the Windows shell command (essentially what happens when
you drag a folder) is available in Win32::FileOp, and you might find
that worth exploring. I haven't looked into more sophisticated mirroring
options, but would be interested to hear anybody else's experiences.

--S