[tpm] Fwd: Books and News from the O'Reilly User Group Program--Nov

Mike Stok mike at stok.ca
Wed Nov 3 04:42:46 PDT 2010

If you cannot read the information below, click here.

Nov 2010 Issue

New Releases:

iPod: The Missing Manual, Ninth Edition
By J.D. Biersdorfer

Learning ActionScript 3.0, Second Edition
By Rich Shupe

The Linux Programming Interface
By Michael Kerrisk

Making Software
By Andy Oram,Greg Wilson

Microsoft ADO.NET 4 Step by Step
By Tim Patrick

Microsoft Excel 2010: Data Analysis and Business Modeling: Rough Cuts Version, Third Edition

Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Plain & Simple
By Johnathan Lightfoot,Chris Beckett

Pragmatic Guide to Git

QuickBooks 2011: The Missing Manual
By Bonnie Biafore

R Cookbook: Rough Cuts Version
By Paul Teetor

More New Releases >>

Welcome

Hi there,

We've launched a new program we'd like you to share with your group members. Please pass along this news:

Join the O'Reilly Blogger Review Program. We'll send you ebooks and videos in exchange for your honest reviews.

You'll get early access to great books and videos about leading-edge software, technology and social media trends--and have your expert opinions heard as a reviewer. Find all the details here.

PyCon, the Python community conference, is doubling down on technical talks this year from across the spectrum. The official deadline for getting your proposal in has passed, but they've agreed to keep the system in "stealth open" until Nov 3 so the people receiving this newsletter can have a chance to submit a proposal.
Sign up and go to http://us.pycon.org/2011/speaker/to submit a proposal for either a talk or a tutorial for PyCon 2011.

Google announces Google Code-in, their contest to introduce pre-university students to the many kinds of contributions that make open source software development possible starting Nov 22. They're inviting students worldwide to produce a variety of open source code, documentation, training materials and user experience research. Read the blog post for more info.

O'Reilly webcasts happening soon:

Hadoop - Tips, Tricks, Optimizations, and Pitfalls , Presented by Ken GoodhopeNovember 23, at 10am PT
Check out our Webcast page for on-demand videos of past webcasts and more upcoming live events.

Thanks,

---- Marsee Henon and Jon Johns

User Group Discounts

Get 40% off books from O'Reilly, Microsoft Press, No Starch, Paraglyph, PC Publishing, Pragmatic Bookshelf, Rocky Nook, SitePoint, or YoungJin books and 50% off ebooks you purchase directly from O'Reilly. Just use code DSUG when ordering online or by phone 800-998-9938.

Thinking about attending an O'Reilly Conference?Email usergroups at oreilly.com for the user group discount code. You can see what's coming up here:http://conferences.oreilly.com.

UG leaders only--Put Up a Banner, Get a Free Book

We're looking for user groups to display our discount banners on their web sites. If you send us your group's site with one or more banners posted, We'll send you the O'Reilly book(s) of your choice. Choose from the following list of banners:

O'Reilly Strata Conference Banners
40-50% off Discount Book Banners
O'Reilly Answers
Customizable O'Reilly Book Widgets
O'Reilly School of Technology
User Group Discount Slides (PowerPoint, Keynote, and OpenOffice.org versions)

Upcoming Event

Tom Limoncelli teaches Time Management at Usenix LISA
When: Nov 7-12, 2010
Where: San Jose
Author Tom Limoncelli (Time Management for System Administrators) is teaching tutorials on Time Management, Time Management for Teams (both are half-day tutorials), Datastructures Of The Future (90-minute), and a general Q&A session on Time Management (90-minute).

More Upcoming Events >>

--

Mike Stok <mike at stok.ca>
http://www.stok.ca/~mike/