[tpm] Thursday 25 March meeting

Mike Stok mike at stok.ca
Thu Mar 18 16:23:31 PDT 2010

The Toronto Perl Mongers meeting is taking place next Thursday.  http://to.pm.org/ will be updated when I know the room & floor.

Mike

Date: Thu 25 Mar 2010 18:45 EDT
Venue: Nexient
Topic: March Madness

This month we have a few talks for your delight. The first is a quick introdcution to OPENapps, and then a dose of Perl mayhem, and then a look at some of the modules Richard Dice has been using lately.

Kristan "Krispy" Uccello: An introduction to OPENapps

Imagine you create a web application and had the ability to sell it to many web site owners on the internet. Now imagine you could sell it without giving up the source code. OPENapps makes this happen.

OPENapps is a powerful language agnostic platform allowing you to offer up web applications to a wide audience of website owners. OPENapps takes care of the things that developers typically find boring or repetitious such as billing and tracking; while at the same time providing robust technology for integration of your applications with content publishers sites.

OPENapps is offering a limited developer beta to web developers who demonstrate that they have a killer app idea and a desire to implement it.

Mark Jubenville: Perl Mayhem

A little delayed gratification from last year's Lightning Talks.

Richard Dice: Show & Tell - Modules Richard is using

A look at some of the things Richard is working with these days, including Coro, AnyEvent and the daemonization of Perl code.

Meetings

We normally hold meetings on the last Thursday of each month.

These meetings range from a single Perl theme to code reviews to rambling free-for-all discussions of things Perlish. We occasionally have meetings with special guests lecturing on or teaching about their specialties. After the meeting we usually go out for food and drinks. Perl hackers of all skill levels are invited.

Location: 2 Bloor Street West, (usually) 8th or 16th floor. The room number will be announced on the mailing list a few days before the meeting. It will also be left with the security desk in the building (main floor lobby) shortly before the meeting starts (i.e. around 6pm).

Time: 6:45 p.m.

Directions: This building is on the north-west corner of Bloor and Yonge, accessible by subway from Bloor station. Pay parking is also ample in this area.

Security note: The elevators in the building are "locked down" after 5:30pm to people without building access cards. Leading up to the meeting someone will come down to the main floor lobby every few minutes to ferry people upstairs. There will be a number of scheduled trips:

	• 17:30
	• 18:00
	• 18:30
	• 18:45
	• 19:00
After 19:00, you can reach the access-card-carrying guy via a cell phone number that we'll leave with security in the front lobby. The room and floor numbers will be left with security too.

If any latecomers call up there will be a final group elevator run at 19:10. After that, access will be ad-hoc; call up from security and somebody will try to come down and let you up.

--

Mike Stok <mike at stok.ca>
http://www.stok.ca/~mike/

The "`Stok' disclaimers" apply.