[tpm] how to detect ICMP 'port unreachable'?

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 18:47:40 PDT 2010

Does anyone know what I can do to detect an unreachable UDP port?

The application uses UDP to talk to the remote system.  Just a simple
send/receive pair.  But if the 'other end's application isn't there, ie,
no listener, then the remote host returns an ICMP message saying
the port is unreachable.  Trouble is that I can't seem to see that
as an error response to either the send, or receive or select (looking
at the 'error' bit list).

BTW.  I'm not allowed to send or receive any other messages,
only check the return values for the normal transactions, send(),
receive(), select(), or possibly check some status that might be
buried somewhere within the system.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Fulko