[tpm] fork and blessed hash references

Rob Janes janes.rob at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 08:49:30 PST 2010

check out Time::HiRes for alarms with granularity less than one second.

the perl ipc stuff allows you to access a shared memory region.  From
a c perspective, the ipc shared memory is truly shared.  I looked at
the perl shared memory code, and I believe what it does is copy the
shared memory region into a perl variable.  Updates to the shared
memory must be copied back manually via call to perl ipc method.

In order to make this work, you'll also have to get a semaphore to
serialize access to the shared memory region.

there is an alternative process.  set a signal handler for one of the
user signals SIGUSR1 say.  Send a signal to that process and handler
to reset the timer.  Your SIGALRM handler then is in a process which
also has a SIGUSR1 handler.  The SIGUSR1 handler resets the timer.
This way you don't need shared memory or semaphores.  Much easier,
much less complicated.  All that needs to be known globally is the pid
(process id) and maybe the tid (thread id) of the SIGUSR1 handler.

-rob janes
arjay at cpan.org