[tpm] Writing to STDOUT in batches

Antonio Sun antoniosun at lavabit.com
Mon Dec 6 07:22:57 PST 2010

Hi,

I have the following code in a loop:

    open(OUTFILE, "$cmd >> myfile"); # append write
    print OUTFILE content();
    close(OUTFILE);

The $cmd is a complicated sed command. For simplicity purpose, let's say it
is

  | sed -n '10,20p'

I.e., printing only lines 10~20 of the content of each loop.

My goal is to write to STDOUT instead of a fixed file. I tried to change the
above open statement with

    open(OUTFILE, "$cmd >-");   # write to STDOUT

or,

    open(OUTFILE, "$cmd >>-");   # write to STDOUT

but didn't get any output.

Anyone can help me here?

BTW, in case you wonder why the open statement is in the loop -- if I don't
do it this way and open outside the loop instead, I'll  get the
first 10~20 lines only from the first loop.

Thanks

antonio