[tpm] Data retrieval

Mike Ashton Mashton at 4All.com
Fri Aug 13 12:56:58 PDT 2010

If the drive is readable, and the drive is still in the unit, the first
thing I would attempt would be to boot the laptop with a copy of Knoppix
and see if you can mount the drive and access the data ( read only ). If
you can, use ftp, samba or a usb thumb drive/usb hard drive to grab a
copy of the data.

If that fails or the laptop is the actual issue you'll need a drive
interface ( I do have one, but I'm up in Brampton ), also Tiger sells a
USB - ATA enclosure for 12.99 (
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1042924&CatId=2781
).

If you can't read the drive then the next thing to do is make an image
of the drive and work on the image to see if you can repair it. Besides
Knoppix there is  the bootable cd's from www.sysresccd.org or for
windows is a bootable live XP or dos tool called Hiren's BootCD (
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd ).

If that fails then the next option is to try SpinRite to repair the
drive. If that fails your SOL or looking at taking it to Critical Data
Recovery, but that is not cheap! Last time I sent a drive it was 1400
for the recovery.

Hope this helps,

Mike