[tpm] ucfirst() and unicode

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Tue Apr 6 12:14:44 PDT 2010

Hi all,

   From reading perldoc perlunicode, I was able to figure out why
ucfirst() wasn't doing anything; The data I am altering is coming from a
UTF8-encoded database. I also see the example of creating UTF8
compatible ToUpper(), ToLower(), etc.

   There isn't an example of a compatible ucfirst() alternative, and as
I read it, I'd need to create a custom function listing the
source->destination unicodes to convert... This seems tedious so, given
that laziness is the source of all code, I am guessing someone has come
up with another way. Failing that, is there such a function already?

   My CPAN search for 'ucfirst unicode' failed (though it's always
possible that there is a PEBCAK).

tl;dr - need a ucfirst() variant that works with Unicode strings.

Thanks!

--
Digimer
E-Mail:         linux at alteeve.com