[tpm] Help... I've buggered 'cpan install' and I cant get up!

Martin at Cleaver.org Martin at Cleaver.org
Mon Mar 16 12:37:43 PDT 2009

If you type:

$ cpan

by itself, to install a module you then need to type at the cpan prompt
"install X"

cpan> install X

But typing:

$ cpan install X

first tries to find module 'install' then module 'X'. This is
counterintuitive, especially as module X is some weird JUNOSCRIPT module
with lots of dependencies.

http://blog.unixwiz.net/2005/09/dumb_software_c.html

While CPAN was one of the earlier tools, the many other tools (yum, apt-get)
take "install X" to be something sensible.

As the poster of the unixwiz points out, "install" should be explicitly
ignored by cpan.

M.
--
Martin at Cleaver.org