[tpm] Perl as a career

Viktor Pavlenko vvp at cogeco.ca
Sat Mar 7 12:55:44 PST 2009

    AS> To me, Perl is the most powerful language, however,
    AS> career-wise, I see most Perl jobs are maintaining web
    AS> applications, whereas Perl lost its competitive edge over Php
    AS> & Java.

perl is not only web application development but a powerful general
purpose programming language. Although my main language of employment
has been C++ for the last 10 years or so, I have used perl
occasionally and there is no substitute for it.

perl development is so much faster than C++ or Java. For example, a
couple of weeks ago I was asking here for a free job scheduler, I
couldn't find a good one so wrote one myself, in one week :)

In my experience, perl rocks and will rock in foreseeable future.

--
Viktor