[tpm] TZ code to hour offset conversion ideas?

Mike Ashton Mashton at 4All.com
Wed Oct 8 19:38:32 PDT 2008

Madi,

I do a lot of world time calculations. I would not use timezone codes
like est, cst or pst since they are not unique and do not give you
enough granularity for reliable date calculations.
An example is CST: - Central Std Time (-6) North America ( some
locations do not observe DST )
        - China Std Time (+8)
        - Central Std Time (+9.5) Australia ( some locations do not
observe DST )
Also over time, the borders that define these timezones have
occasionally moved, take a look at Indiana, there are 8 different rules
based on the movement of Central and Eastern time definitions and
changing observance or non observance of DST.

Especially if you need to do historical calculations, like in your
example, to do this accurately you need to use the Olson database. There
are reason's why there is a America/Toronto and America/Montreal since
historically they did not observe the same time rules (before standard
timezones, time was set to the real time of major cities train station
observed time) and they did not always observe DST or observe at the
same time.

In perl use DateTime::TimeZone it will make your life a lot easier in
the long run. For lots of info go to datetime.perl.org

Here is part of an example program I wrote, reading a file with some
locales ( eg. america/toronto) in it and calculating the current UTC
offset and writing them back out.

===============
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use DateTime;
use DateTime::TimeZone;
use Text::Delimited;

## read in the timezones from the system and generate a text ile with
all current UTC offsets

my $infile = 'timezone.db';
my $outfile = 'timezone_out.db';

my $file = new Text::Delimited;
$file->Open($infile) or die print 'Cant open file';

open (OUTFILE,"> $outfile");
print OUTFILE "Locale\tOffset\n";

my @header = $file->Fields;

while ( my $row = $file->Read ) {
  local ($tz,$offset);
  $tz = DateTime::TimeZone->new( name => $row->{Locale} );
  local ($tz,$offset);
  $tz = DateTime::TimeZone->new( name => $row->{Locale} );
  $utc = DateTime->now(time_zone=>'UTC');
  $offset = $tz->offset_for_datetime($utc)/(60*60);
  print OUTFILE "$row->{Locale}\t$offset\n";
}
close OUTFILE;

$file->Close;

Hope this helps.