[tpm] TZ code to hour offset conversion ideas?

Richard Dice rdice at pobox.com
Wed Oct 8 17:22:12 PDT 2008

Hi Madi,

There is data in a file, and you need the data in the file in order to give
you some information you need to work with.

Obviously, you need an extraction routine to get the data in the file,
assuming it is even remotely complicated.  (If it's simple you could use
split or unpack or regexen or something like that.)

You have two options:

   1. find the extraction routine that someone else created to get at the
   data (probably a CPAN module if a CPAN module exists for the data you want)
   2. create your own extraction routine (which will probably just be a
   complicated composition of split or unpack or regexen, looping through lines
   in the file and building up various data structures for manipulation... or,
   if the data is really-gnarly-but-regular then maybe you'd use a formal
   parsing technique, like Parse::RecDescent)

Option 1 is a research project for you to find what you need, if indeed it
exists.  Option 2 is elbow grease.  Either way, please let us know how
things work out.

(But you already enumerated options 1 and 2 in your own email, more or
less.  So... what exactly are you asking us for?)

Cheers,
 - Richard