[tpm] some volunteer help this weekend for TPF? re: Google maps creation

Richard Dice rdice at pobox.com
Sat Mar 29 08:57:30 PDT 2008

Thanks, Seneca!

To the degree that it is a programming job it's a Javascript programming
job.  And not even much of that.  More a javascript copy/paste/minor-edit
job.

You need to have a server to host this on in order to tap into the Google
Maps API, and you need to register a user key that ties to your web host
with Google in order to use the API.

Then, the job becomes -

   - create a bone simple web page
   - put the javascript block in it that creates a basic google map
   (their online docs are really good to give you a starter)
   - figure out how to put one push-pin into it
   - figure out how to put many push-pins into it and modify their
   attributes for colour, labels, etc.

I went from zero to knowing how to do the above in about 3 hours when I did
this last year.  If you've done it before then getting re-familiarized with
it is going to take a lot less.

That's 1/2 of the job.  The other 1/2 is just digging around online through
the world of Perl lore re: what Perl conferences there have been and where
they were on what given year.  And then translating that into lat/long for
Google Maps push-pins.

Cheers,
 - Richard