[tpm] can you help a brother out? re: Eclipsecon

Richard Dice rdice at pobox.com
Wed Mar 5 09:45:14 PST 2008

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there could give me -- well, TPF -- a hand
with something.  Eclipsecon is coming up in about 2 weeks and it would be
great if I could attend.  The organizers have compped my admission and the
brass within Eclipse Foundation have committed to spending a few days with
me in private session there.  I'm really interested in getting close to
Eclipse because they've managed to pull off a few really great things -- (a)
Eclipse is pervasive in industry up to and including "enterprise level"
programming; it is above-the-radar and officially supported everywhere we
wish Perl was, (b) Eclipse Foundation has put together a business model that
allow Eclipse Foundation to do all the right things to make (a) happen, and
(c) they are "mission-based", i.e. what they do they do in support of
Eclipse as a concept, not for some other reason.  I want (a) to work for
Perl, I think TPF needs (b) in order to help make (a) happen, and (c) is the
only way to go in order to respect the Perl community while doing (a) and
(b).  Spending quality time with the Eclipse folks is I think a really good
way to go down this road.

The specific help I'm looking for is if anyone out there has a bunch of
frequent flier miles they'd be willing to use to spring a plane ticket on me
with.  This is part of a general fund-raising I'm doing to support the trip;
I've raised a few $100 already and I can kick in a few $100 myself too...
but not a few $1000.  It is getting close to the dates for the conference so
I thought maybe I could ask people around here.  You gang have a pretty good
sense that I'm not fly-by-night and not (too) full of BS, so your effort in
support of TPF would not be futile.  Or so the theory for me asking for help
goes. :-)

Thanks,
 - Richard