[tpm] Event loop, redux

David Golden xdaveg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 06:05:48 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Madison Kelly <linux at alteeve.com> wrote:
>   A while ago I was asking about event loops. Richard and Mike
> recommended I look at POE, and well, as Alan put it, it's an OS written
> in Perl.
>
>   Very impressive, but very overkill for my needs. :)
>
>   I've got a simple server program that listens for TCP connections
> from clients which, on connect, spawns a child process to handle the
> client. Already I can talk between the client and the server to
> establish a connection (password verification), but then I am stumped,
> so I close the connection.

I haven't jumped into POE myself, but in trying to decide if/when I
should, I did find this tutorial:

http://poe.perl.org/?Evolution_of_a_POE_Server

It shows a simple TCP server -- written the hard way.  Then it
gradually swaps out pieces of it with POE components using greater and
greater levels of abstraction until the final program is quite small
and elegant.  It's both a good tutorial and a good argument for why to
use POE.

I think it will help you regardless of whether you ultimately choose
to use POE or not.

-- David