[tpm] Understanding 'use base ...'

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Tue Jul 15 12:02:08 PDT 2008

  SF> It was pointed out to me by a collegue a month or so ago after he spent
  SF> a day tracking down strange inheritance related problems in a code base
  SF> we were working on. It may be that there were other peculiarities to the
  SF> environment which lead to the problem. I'll have to look into it a bit
  SF> deeper I guess. Perhaps if it happens further up the inheritance chain
  SF> that might have side effects? Hmm. Well, sorry for any confusion...

multiple inheritance can be wacky no matter how you set up @ISA. this is
why some langs disallow it altogether. the classic diamond pattern of
inheritance has serious issues (A inherits from B & C which both inherit
from D. does an inherited method call to A check B then D and then C or
B then C then D?)

but my point about use base vs. explicit assigning of @ISA stands. there
is no difference between them. use base is cleaner as it loads the
module and sets @ISA for you in one line.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  uri at stemsystems.com  --------  http://www.sysarch.com --