[tpm] Regex to validate (international) phone numbers

Madison Kelly linux at alteeve.com
Tue Jul 31 15:41:15 PDT 2007

Thanks Andy and Liam!

   Number::Phone was more than I needed, but the 'is_valid' function
gave me enough of a pointer to work out something I think will work. As
for extensions, I have a separate DB column for that.

   What I do is check for the leading '+' (as this is needed by some
mobile GSM phones), strip off all non-digit characters, then check the
length. Well, I check a little more than that, but ultimately it comes
down to length. Then I can "clean up" the number to something standard
before saving it.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_country_calling_codes

   That had enough info for me to feel comfortable that I can identify
*most* international numbers. As for "evenings only" or alternative
numbers, info like that will have to go in the comments section. The
number asked for is simply "preferred number" so I have *something* on
file.

   Thanks both!

Madi