[tpm] another reason not to move to Winnipeg

adam.prime at utoronto.ca adam.prime at utoronto.ca
Tue Apr 24 10:07:54 PDT 2007

Quoting Alex Mackinnon <alexmac131 at hotmail.com>:

> Wow, what are these people thinking. 20k for a mod_perl/cgi perl developer.
>
> http://jobs.perl.org/job/5687
>
> You got to know apache, mod_perl, cgi programing, linux and oh yes
> "Experience with Photoshop and/or Flash. "
>

> These sorts of job posts just blow my stack.

I saw that too and shuddered.  I can't see the cost of living being
THAT much lower in winnipeg.  That being said, it might be an ok job
for a kid straight out of school, living at home.  25K = 12/hr
basically.  you can make more than that in retail.

> Anyone see the FTD flourist post there (under a different name) and
> what is their problem on employee retention.

I assume you're talking about the Novator posting.  A friend of a
friend works there, though not as a coder.  From everything i've heard
it seems like it'd actually be a pretty good place to work.  Good
benefits, right downtown close to TTC, big established clients.  /shrug

> Accenture of course is hiring and they pay way more, but you have to
> sell your soul.

Whenever I hear Accenture i think Mississauga.  I'm not sure if i
really should be thinking that or not though.