[tpm] dereferencing anonymous hashes

Jim Graham james.a.graham at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:39:29 PDT 2007

Hi

  Tricky one:

    %x = ();

 is an empty hash. The () is a list, and assigning it to a hash creates an empty hash. The '=>' notation that we're used to for hash
creation is in fact just sugar for the "," list operator. So you can do:

 %x = ( 'foo' => 1, 'bar' => 2); #-- it's a hash

or

 %x = ( 'foo' , 1, 'bar', 2); #-- looks like an array, but it's also a hash

And get the same thing.

  %x = {};

is weird. The "{}" creates an anonymous hash. Then assigning it to a regular hash (%x) uses the anon-hash ref as the key, and undef
as the value.

In the Perl debugger:

>perl -demo
  DB<1> %x = {}

  DB<2> foreach my $k ( keys %x) { print "$k\n";}
HASH(0x1829fd0)

  Hope this helps;

  - jim