[Thousand-Oaks-pm] Open Call for Volunteers for SCaLE 14x

David McDuffee mcduffee at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 09:53:18 PST 2015

SCaLE 14x is the 14th annual Southern California Linux Expo (
http://socallinuxexpo.com ), which will be happening Thursday thru Sunday
January 21-24 at the Pasadena Convention Center. If you've attended a
previous SCALE you already know what a worthwhile event it will be. If you
haven't, listen to this podcast from long-time Perl Monger Randal Schwartz
for an earlier SCaLE:

http://twit.tv/show/floss-weekly/279

As in the past, the So Cal Perl Mongers (Los Angeles, Orange County,
Thousand Oaks, and San Diego) will be hosting a booth at the expo. If you
can spare some time during the conference (4-5 hours) to represent Perl
Mongers at the booth, please send a note to me ( mcduffee at gmail.com) to let
me know. You don't have to be a Perl expert to volunteer, just be willing
to talk about Perl with conference attendees, plus help set up or tear down
the booth if your shift requires it.

The Linux Expo outgrew its former host, which prompted the move to a larger
venue in Pasadena, so this year promises to be bigger and better than ever.
In addition, Perl 6 looks like it's on schedule for the long-awaited
Christmas release, so this year should be a big one for interest in Perl as
well.

What do you get for volunteering?

* A full conference pass at no cost, with a much-coveted "Exhibitor" badge!
* An even more coveted Perl @ SCaLE t-shirt! (thanks to our sponsors!)
* A two-week free trial for online Perl training from one of this year's
sponsors, Geekuni
* The chance to meet and chat with fellow Perl enthusiasts!

Check out some of the talks you'll be eligible to attend at
http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/14x/presentations
<http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/13x/presentations>, but remember that
much of the value of SCaLE comes from the "conference in the halls" -- the
chance to get to know other members of the community in a more relaxed
informal setting than a typical meetup permits.

I know this time of year is hectic, but I'd like to hear from volunteers by
11:59 PM Monday, December 28. If you have a preference for when you'd like
to work the booth (Friday afternoon, Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon,
or Sunday morning), let me know, and also include your shirt size.

I hope to see you this year at SCaLE!

Thanks!

David McDuffee

P.S. Thanks again to Juan Natera for organizing the Perl booth at past
SCaLE conventions, and for his continuing advice and support this year!