[Thousand-Oaks-pm] Amazon EC2 presentation: A followup question.

David Oswald daoswald at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 18:37:28 PDT 2012

I was just wondering if anyone in our group who has deployed on EC2
has used it to support a database as well.  It's my understanding that
the EC2 instance loses its data when shut down, so it doesn't make
sense to host a database within it, but Amazon provides the RDS cloud,
which should be a nice stable cloud-based relational database,
available to an EC2 application.

Another option I'm considering for this project is dot cloud.  It sort
of bundles a web application instance along with a mysql database.

I guess my question is, what experiences have others had in pairing
EC2 with RDS for a low-volume but highly available web application?
And can anyone compare that to experiences with dot cloud's
"Perl/MySQL" web application environment?

I've got a client whom I would like to migrate away from self-hosting
an internal-use web application, by moving them over to the cloud,
possibly retaining one of the existing servers just in case of thunder
storms. ;).

Dave

--

David Oswald