[Thousand-oaks-pm] [LA.pm] Perl Flagship Applications

Ron Phipps ron at endpoint.com
Tue May 4 20:51:22 PDT 2010

> 2010/5/4 Aran Deltac <bluefeet at gmail.com <mailto:bluefeet at gmail.com>>
>
>     So, at the end of LA.pm this month one of our fellow mongers (I
>     forget his name, sorry) was talking about how he wished there were
>     more "flagship" Perl applications that could illustrate the power of
>     perl to a more general audience.  PHP has Drupal, Wordpress,
>     Mediawiki, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.  Java has Hadoop, Cassandra,
>     etc, etc, etc.  These flagship applications provide the underlying
>     language an automatic approval to the users of those applications.
>     People who do not code in PHP or Java know of these applications and
>     what language they were written in because these application proudly
>     state what language(s) they are using.  This means that managers,
>     etc, are exposed to these languages as providing high quality and
>     highly complex software.
>
>     So, what I'm wondering is, what does perl have?
>
>     I know of one off the top of my head:  TWiki (http://twiki.org/)
>
>     I'm sure there are more.  Melody (the really open source version of
>     Movable Type) will fall in this list once its released, I'm hoping.
>
>     And, if the person who brought this point up in the first place at
>     LA.pm could speak up and maybe talk about what you were thinking
>     that would be great.
>
>     Aran

One e-commerce platform that we build sites on at End Point is called
Interchange (www.icdevgroup.org) and is written in Perl.  Some sites
that run on this system include:

http://www.backcountry.com
http://www.citypass.com
http://www.frozencpu.com
http://www.flor.com

Interchange includes a demo store, however the power of the system is
really in the ability to do whatever you need to do in Perl and leverage
CPAN.  Interchange doesn't get a whole lot in the way of press, but
there are many sites doing large amounts of orders on this platform.

--
Ron Phipps
End Point Corporation
ron at endpoint.com