[Thousand-oaks-pm] In anticipation of Perl 6 Hackathon

Aran Deltac bluefeet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 11:08:01 PDT 2009

I like that, sounds great.

I think we'll find that there are, say, 10 different pieces to this, then
when we start digging in we'll find that... uh, there is no DBI in perl 6 -
crap!  Gotta figure out a way to access some sort of DB (maybe there is some
sort of BDB support in perl 6...), or we'd end up being totally side-tracked
by writing an LWP-like library for perl6 so that we could then pull feeds
from these services.  Oh, and does perl 6 have any XML support yet?  Has
anyone written an XML module for perl 6?

My bet is that just getting a barely functional aggregator and web site
going will take a LOT more effort in perl 6 since there isn't a CPAN for
perl 6, yet.

That aside, I think the this is a great idea Shawn/Jon.  We should do it.
We can already identify a few pieces that could be developed independently.
First, I'd like to know what tools we have available to us in perl 6, and
know how they work:

- XML parsing.
- Database access.
- LWP or similar tools.
- mod_perl6

The only one we have for sure is the last one, mod_perl6, but someone needs
to understand how it works.  The rest needs to be looked in to.

We'll each grab one of these research items, and then report to the rest of
us as to the current standing of the feature, or if they even exist yet?
Then we can take the next steps and actually develop something.

Does this sound like a good approach to you guys?

I'm wingin it.  If you guys would rather just jump right in and do this more
organically that's fine with me as well.

Aran