[Thousand-oaks-pm] Minutes from the 8/10/05 Thousand Oaks PM meeting

Daniel Sherer dsherer at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 20:39:19 PDT 2005

Minutes from Perl Mongers' meeting on 8/10/05

Present:	Andrew Woods
		Aran Deltac
		Daniel Sherer
		Jeff Tam
		Jerry Ursetti
		Jim Walker
		Paul Jacobs
		Todd Presta

The meeting started around 7:00 PM, as usual, with some introductions
and informal discussion.

The main topic of the evening involved selecting a domain name for
our group so that we could setup our own webhost and make maintenance
of it easier (the current PM.org only allows updates via “DAV” and
they have suffered multiple outages and rebuilds resulting in our
site frequently being un-maintainable.)

We kicked around a lot of different names (each person present
proposed at least one) and we considered placement of hyphens and
contractions.

Two of the other reasons for this discussion were a desire to create
a mission/vision for our group (why should anyone belong or attend?)
and the possibility that our name was too geographically specific (we
might be missing other potential members).

In the end, geography didn't seem to bother anyone present, and we
selected a name that was similar to our present Perl-Monger moniker.
After a couple of rounds of voting, we selected and registered:

 	thousand-oaks-perl.org

That site is now up, and I've asked PM.ORG to redirect webtraffic to
it, but to retain our mailing list as is (at least for the time
being.)

Andrew has already done some work redesigning our site and you can
check it out at http://thousand-oaks-perl.org/newsite/  (He'll move
it to be the default after he gets all the pieces the way he wants
them.

The idea of a “mission” or “vision” didn't get resolved although
during our name selection process we discarded names containing words
like “rabid” and places like the 101 or Conejo Valley.  We also
stayed away from cryptic abbreviations like “pm” or “1koaks” and
terms that implied we might be newbies or trainers.

Not surprisingly, a high point was a random drawing (via perl, of
course) for the two books that Marsee Henon of O'Reilly publishing
had donated to us.  The good news is, I have two more books for next
month!

We wrapped up at 8:00 but not before Aran discussed getting a Wiki
setup on our new webserver.  I'm not clear on his vision of where
that might take us, but I will work with him to get software
installed to support this.  It looks pretty cool and he showed us
some work he's been doing in support of Perl-powered geographic
modules.

Homework:

Please think about (and submit) a reason or two why you are
interested in this group and what you would like to get out of it.
Some of the reasons we discussed tonight were:

	To learn more cool things about Perl
	To network with other Perl programmers in the area
	To meet famous Perl programmers, like Tim Bunce

Thanks to those who were able to come out.

Daniel