Perl tip of the day

Dan.Sherer at wellpoint.com Dan.Sherer at wellpoint.com
Sun Jul 30 18:33:00 CDT 2000

Ever want to experiment with perl commands or syntax without storing the
command(s) in a file?

Sure, you *CAN* execute the commands on the command line, like this:

	perl -e 'some; commands; here;'

But that still doesn't always "do it".  A *MUCH* more flexible method is to
invoke the debugger without a program.

	perl -de 0

Now, you have access to everything you would if *you* were a program.  You can
type as many commands as you want and interact with perl directly.

I especially like this when I'm messing around with complex data structures
(hashes of hashes of lists, etc).  Or, when trying to remember which side of a
list commands like "unshift" and "pop" muck with.

Daniel