[Thamesvalley-pm] Mojolicious and Catalyst

Andrew thamesvalley-pm at unitedgames.co.uk
Thu Apr 14 05:21:48 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: "Oliver Gorwits" <oliver at cpan.org>
To: <thamesvalley-pm at pm.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 9:06 AM
Subject: Re: [Thamesvalley-pm] April meetup: Thursday 28th April

> Oh I don't know about that ;). I have been having fun with Mojolicious,
>
> regards,
> oliver.

I got to try Mojolicious for the first time in the first half of 2015, and
made a little web app in it, as a demo for a job interview. Never heard back
from the employer however! ^_^ But it was great, because it got me into
frameworks for the first time. I'd bought books on Catalyst, but never
actually got into any frameworks, so it was great to actually have a
practical project to work on, and I learnt so much faster that way!

The whole experience gave me bags of confidence, so straight after, I moved
onto a Catalyst project, so I've now experience with both Mojolicious and
Catalyst.

However, I am still being a n00b in many ways...
I don't quite yet get the point of the view and model folders in Catalyst.
During A-level Computer Science back in 1998-1999 - they didn't teach us
Model View Controller, but Processing, Data, and Output, leading me to
always separate Processing, Data and Layout. And since then, I've considered
my database to be my model, and my layout templates to be my view, and all
my perl code is just going in the controller folder. I don't yet understand
why a bit of code goes in a view folder or model folder - it's not the model
or the view, it's still processing, it's still code.
I guess perhaps the principle is some sort of "hot swapping" equivalent? So
you could easily change the model or view, without effecting the main
programming code in the controller folder? Just use a different view or
model script, is that how it works? I dunno - I'll learn soon, I'm sure.

Yours,
Andrew M, =).