[Thamesvalley-pm] Equivalent to Term::ReadKey

Greg Matthews gmatt at nerc.ac.uk
Mon Jun 30 01:21:36 PDT 2008

Mark Robson wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 15:15 +0100, Greg Matthews wrote:
>> yup... been thinking for a while that we ought to have a corporate rpm
>> repo. Think I'll try this route.
>
> We've been evaluating how to get RPMs deployed to our servers, and
> existing system (e.g. yum) seem to be mostly geared towards updating
> everything to the latest version, whereas in production we would also
> need a "roll back" capability to restore earlier versions in case a
> deployment needed to be reverted.

agreed to a point. I still use rpm-rollback capability on up2date and
yum based systems. However, Redhat have dropped rollback capability,
presumably so that they can sell their own system (satellite?).

I looked into the possibility of using LVM as a way of rolling back to a
snapshot but LVM does not have this functionality inherently. I /think/
EVMS is able to rollback volumes but dont quote me.

We only need to provide a tiny number of rpms and version control will
initially be manual as we upload new versions of the rpms. There are
third party patch management solutions that provide the functionality
you require. I really like the look of the most recent Sun solution (how
many have they got?!) which they bought up 2 or 3 years ago but it gets
very bad press on c.u.solaris.

Dave - your talk looks very useful - unfortunately I wont make it to
Copenhagen! This topic of rpm/CPAN comes up all the time on the
MailScanner mailing list. MailScanner is a large perl-based tool that
has wide module requirements. The current method of forcing installation
of modules over managed versions is starting to cause problems,
particularly for RHEL5 users.

GREG