[Thamesvalley-pm] calling all Perl newbies!

Richard Dawe rich at phekda.gotadsl.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 01:24:36 PDT 2007

Morning,

Greg Matthews wrote:
> Jacqui caren wrote:
>> I am in the process of designing/writing a sax-like engine for
>> email, The objective is to search for a pattern/s in message
>> headers/content by serially expanding the MIME tree without
>> holding the whole message in memory or files.
>
> interesting, why the requirement to not hold the message in memory?
[snip]

I'm guessing here, since I don't know the requirements.

Mails can be bigger than physical memory. Or have crazy structures.
Examples:

* 4.7GB DVD image compressed to 450MB and then attached to a message.
* Message with 2,500 attachments.
* Message with 2,500 nesting levels.

Bye, Rich =]

--
Richard Dawe [ http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~phekda/richdawe/ ]

"You just amass stuff while you are alive. It's like stuff washed up
 on a beach somewhere, and that somewhere is you." -- Damien Hirst