[Thamesvalley-pm] using ssh within perl scripts

Greg Matthews gmatt at nerc.ac.uk
Tue Oct 30 10:45:10 PDT 2007

Seems like I'm the only one to ask for advice here...

I'm using ssh to connect to a series of machines like so:

open( SSH, "$ssh_bin $ssh_opts $host $command |") or die...
while (<SSH>) {
}
close SSH;

I'm opening a new ssh shell for each command.

I want to capture the output of various commands to a set of lists or
files. For instance, the output of "uname -a" needs to be recorded in a
file uname.out.

Is it possible to send a series of commands through the same SSH
session? and capture the output for each separately?

That would save repetitive long timeouts when hosts are down.

So far I have figured out that I can open ssh like this:

open(SSH,"| /usr/bin/ssh $options $host");
print SSH "$command1\n";
print SSH "$command2\n";
close SSH;

but I haven't figured out how to capture the results of each command
separately.

hope this makes sense and someone can point me the right direction

GREG

--
Greg Matthews           01491 692445
Head of UNIX/Linux, iTSS Wallingford