[Thamesvalley-pm] scripting question

Greg Matthews gmatt at nerc.ac.uk
Tue Aug 14 05:47:20 PDT 2007

Not sure if this is the right place to ask as most of the traffic on
this list seems to be about meeting, but here goes...

I have a perl script (attached) which runs as a cron job. When I run it
as root from the command line it produces a good report but when it is
run from cron, the bitdefender statistics never get printed. Its as if
the %bitdef and %bitdef_today hashes dont get populated.

As far as I can see, the only difference between the bitdefender
sections and the other hash sections is the regexp used. Can anyone
explain why I get different results when running from cron rather than
from the cli?

GREG

typical log lines for all three AV engines:

Aug 14 07:36:43 relay1 MailScanner[30906]: SophosSAVI::INFECTED::
W32/Netsky-P W32/Netsky-P:: ./l7E6aQsg007006/old_photos_mailer-daemon.zip
Aug 14 07:36:43 relay1 MailScanner[30906]: ClamAVModule::INFECTED::
Worm.SomeFool.P:: ./l7E6aQsg007006/old_photos_mailer-daemon.zip
Aug 14 07:36:47 relay1 MailScanner[30906]:
l7E6aQsg007006/old_photos_mailer-daemon.zip=>document.txt .exe:infected:
Win32.Netsky.P at mm

--
Greg Matthews           01491 692445
Head of UNIX/Linux, iTSS Wallingford