[SPUG-Workers] 21 Feb 2006

jerry gay jerry.gay at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 11:27:44 PST 2006

On 1/23/06, Andrew Sweger <andrew at sweger.net> wrote:
> The next meeting is February 21 and we have a location and approximate
> time settled. Jerry Gay offered to show us around the test framework of
> Parrot (sorry if I mischaracterised that).

i think it's more along the lines of "test, ok?" :-)
i'll be an intro to various testing modules and their functionality,
using examples from the parrot test framework.

> Jerry, are you willing to commit to that yet? If so, got a blurb and bio
> we can publish? How long (half or whole meeting or other)?

i'll commit to it, sure. i've been meaning to get my outline ready,
i'll do that today.
as for the rest, i'll write up something this week and mail it to this
list. i figure a half-meeting for this intro topic, and i can easily
expand on any of the points related to this topic in meetings over the
coming months.

> And, this is the email I got from Geoffrey Grosenbach regarding Ruby on
> Rails:
>
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Geoffrey Grosenbach wrote, in part:
> >
> > I don't want to start a language war, but I'd like to offer to give a
> > presentation at SPUG about the popular Ruby on Rails web framework.
> > There was a little bit of interest a few weeks ago when I posted to
> > the list.
> >
> > I attended SPUG a few years ago before I moved to Asia. I'm now back
> > in Seattle and am doing Ruby freelancing fulltime. Perl is a great
> > language, but Rails has some nice features that Perl web frameworks
> > could benefit from (and already have, with Perl Catalyst and others).
> >
> > If you're interested, call or write. I can't be there tonight, but
> > maybe in Feb or March.
>
> So, that's an option too, possibly. Your thoughts?

that'd be great. i've been doing some ajax in my spare time, and
having too much fun with it. it'd be nice to see how ruby makes web
programming fun.

~jerry