SPUG: print statement taking ridiculously long

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Tue Jul 23 10:32:55 PDT 2013

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013, Fred Morris wrote:

> Well that print statement takes over half an hour with one core running at
> 100% CPU! For that matter we've discovered that taking the  length of
> $big_string takes an inordinate amount of time as well. The job doesn't
> appear to be swapping.

Well there's the problem: it's only using one core. You need to make your
script threaded so that it can parallelelize across all your cores.
That'll make it run more faster.

> (BTW, anybody interested in some sort of perl party/meetup in Tacoma?)

Isn't everyone in PDX this week? (I mean, I'm not, of course. But I
thought everyone else was.)

I'm guessing that $big_string is built up by appending/concatenating
repeatedly.

I'm also guessing ysth will know the cause. Oh, too late.

--
Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.