SPUG: JOB: Webapp Dev, (onsite), Redmond, WA, United States

SPUG Jobs jobs-noreply at seattleperl.org
Thu May 31 13:25:23 PDT 2012

Company name: Lucidoc Corporation
Location: Redmond, WA, United States
Internal ID: SD17
Pay rate: DOE + vacation + medical/dental + bonus
Travel: 0%
Terms of employment: Salaried (exempt) employee
Hours: Full time, W-2
Onsite: yes

If you're excited about the document compliance industrial complex (and
who isn't) and have the qualifications, we would love to know more about
you.  Even if you're not sure what this compliance stuff is (it does seem
esoteric at times) or you suspect it might be extremely boring (this is
true for some people), then you still might want to check this out. We
think writing software that makes our customers awesome at managing
documents and heroes when it comes to being audit-ready at the drop of a
hat is fun and challenging. And frankly, we're warming up to all this
compliance stuff. There's documents, revision histories, meta-data galore,
workflow (state) diagrams, hierarchies, pointers going every-which-way,
and even a good use for cryptographic checksums. Managing document
compliance looks a lot like a good distributed source code management
system when you look at it that way. So, have a closer look. If you're
self-driven, love challenges, and enjoy working with others, then we want
to hear from you.

Our team is small, the job is daunting, and we need more talent to meet
our development roadmap goals. You would be working on and using our core
product, the Lucidoc Compliance Management Solution application; a
web-based system largely developed in Perl, SQL, HTML, and JavaScript that
has been in production use for ten years. Naturally, some of the work
involves maintenance and customer support. But our primary efforts go
toward adding new features based on customer, business, and market needs.
Our management team is dedicated to keeping distractions to a minimum and
roadblocks out of the way (although, they occasionally get through as I'm
sure you're familiar with). The development team takes responsibility for
deciding how things will be implemented within the framework of the
development roadmap. We also have a lot of input into our future technical
strategies.

We're not just looking for another coder with the technical chops on some
list of bullet points. We want someone who embodies The Three Great
Virtues Of A Programmer. Someone with the fortitude to bring order to
chaos, clarity to over-cleverness, and elegance to clumsy, brute-forced
code. Someone fearless yet vindictive when faced with spaghetti code.
Someone who demonstrates eternal vigilance against code entropy. Someone
who strives to keep up with evolving development standards in web
application infrastructure.

Required skills:

This list is not necessarily complete but rather intends to give one a
concept of the kind of developer we hope to work with. We don't expect
anyone to make a "perfect score" and prefer that we are all striving for
some unattainable perfection. A link to a more detailed job description is
provided below.

 - Significant knowledge of and expertise in Perl programming for large
   applications.
 - At least 5 years experience developing web-based applications, including
   working with session data storage, relational databases, caching, and
   inter-process communication.
 - A solid understanding of the "separation of concerns" and how it relates to
   a MVC application.
 - Solid experience and competence with Linux/UNIX, Git or similar version
   control systems, HTML & CSS, JavaScript, SQL, and XML.
 - Understanding of professional software development processes. Including
   familiarity with the cycles of requirements definition, issue tracking,
   version control, automated testing, deployment and maintenance and Agile
   development methods.
 - The ability to think and make decisions rapidly based on business criteria,
   not exclusively on technical priorities. Equally important is the ability
   to determine and understand the consequences of every change made in the
   application.
 - Clear and articulate communication, both written and spoken.
 - Forward thinking mindset and the ability to consider future growth and
   analyze scalability of existing systems and software, and to apply those
   insights to current development.
 - The ability to quickly understand requirements, documentation and
   contribute code towards various project deliverables in a timely and
   professional manner is required.
 - Taking initiative beyond minimum expectations to determine long-term
   successes of the company.
 - Provide guidance and mentoring regarding best practices and software
   industry standards, code design and implementation.
 - Perform code reviews.

Desired skills:

Expertise with: JavaScript, mod_perl2, Oracle 10g database, MS SQL Server

Full job description:

  http://www.lucidoc.com/cgi/doc-gw.pl?ref=lcorp:10606

To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to:

  careers-sd17-sp {at} lucidoc.com

Submissions lacking an articulate cover letter will receive lower priority for
consideration.