SPUG: reg pattern matching in a loop

Craig Steffler seaperldev at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 20:00:54 PDT 2011

Actually you probably want something more like this:

  $_ =~ s/\s+/|/g;     # this will substitute all multiple instances with a
single pipe but if you actually want each space substituted you'd need $_ =~
s/\s/|/g;

Also when you want to avoid backslashitis you can do something like
s#\s+#|#g   which is kind of hard to read but it's basically s # \s+ # | #
g; so just ignore the spaces
(of course there's a setting that ignores white space to i your expression
as well).
Even s{\s+}{|}g can be used.