SPUG: October 2011 Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Meeting

Colin Meyer cmeyer at helvella.org
Wed Oct 12 20:05:10 PDT 2011

    October 2011 Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Meeting

    Topic: Scratch
    Speaker:
    Meeting Date: Tuesday, 18 October 2011
    Meeting Time: 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
    Location: Marchex - 520 Pike Street

    Cost: Admission is free and open to the public
    Info: http://seattleperl.org/

Tuesday, October 18, is the next meeting of the THE SEATTLE PERL USERS
GROUP.

This Month's Talk
-----------------

Scratch: it's not Perl, nor has much of anything to do with Perl. But it
is kinda neat and fun to play with. You see, have a look here:
http://scratch.mit.edu/
It's a programming language for kids. With no syntax. Or, rather, the syntax
is
disguised as the shape of blocks that fit together to make programs. Er,
"scripts".

Here's a scratch project that my partner and I made while on an airplane
ride.
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/helvella/2001223
(If you create an account & login, then you get access to the beta flash
player,
which is much better at playing these scratch projets in the browser than
the
default java applet.)

Turned out to be pretty fun to pass the laptop back and forth, taking turns
dorking with the sratch. Kind of like those stories you wrote in junior
high,
where you passed pieces of paper around the room, and each person in turn
added
another sentence.

Anyhow, let's do that, yeah. Pre-install scratch on your laptop, bring it to
the
bar. Then we'll make some projects, pass the puters around to take turns
dorkin
'em all up. Sounds fun.

About
------

This will be a social meeting, all of up inna bar. Elephant & Castle, you
know.

Pre-Meeting
===========

If you are so inclined, please come to the pre-meeting at the nearby
Elephant
& Castle pub on 5th & Union (see map link below). Come enjoy some friendly
conversation and perhaps a favorite beverage (they have a full restaurant
too). We can usually be found at the back under the TV near the rear
entrance
that goes up into the hotel (if you enter through the front doors, just go
straight back past the bar). We'll be there from 5:00 pm to 6:19 pm.

Meeting Location
(same as pre-meeting, this month)

   http://bit.ly/jGI364

Due to all of the shopping around us there is plenty of parking available in
garages, but it can be hard to find street parking in the evening. There is
also a parking garage in the building, but check the rates and closing time
(subject to change due to downtown events)!

call (425) 533-2964 to ask a question

See you there!

p.s. top secret irc channel #spug on irc.perl.org