SPUG: September 2010 Meeting Announcement

Mark Swayne mark_swayne at charter.net
Thu Sep 23 10:02:24 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 22:56 -0700, Bryce Baril wrote:
> It went pretty well -- it certainly suffered from some first try bugs,
> but we all had fun.
>
> The contest was duelling cannons.  Each player was a fixed cannon
> somewhere on a 1000 meter linear playing field.

Bryce, thanks for hosting this event.  I enjoyed the challenge, and I
think everyone else did too.

As you mention I worked with Josh Juran on the team "And Elbows". After
a quick chat about a firing strategy, we divided the work.  I focused on
the client implementation while Josh put together the firing logic.

I've attached our code, uncleaned and (at least in my case) somewhat
ugly.

The client worked as intended, but I wrote it to terminate after one
game, so I kludged in a hardcoded set of credentials so I could rejoin
the tournament.

For future tournaments, I like the idea of a standard client library
that would allow teams to focus on the primary task.

Once again, thanks to Bryce and to everyone who showed up.  I had a good
time and look forward to future meetings.

--Mark Swayne