SPUG: Let's host a YAPC (Or at least talk about it)

jerry gay jerry.gay at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 10:50:10 PDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 08:47, Andrew Sweger <andrew at sweger.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, Michael R. Wolf wrote:
>
>> And I started thinking that since Seattle is such a great place, that
>> we could share some SPUGliness with the rest of the wider Perl
>> community.
>
> Maybe things have changed, but I've long had the impression that YAPC was
> the different-than-OSCON option (lower cost, Perl-centric, not the West
> coast). Could a YAPC in Seattle somehow taint YAPC::NA's value?

things have changed.  any reasonable application that meets the
criteria laid out by tpf will be considered.  those criteria include
low cost, student and new-user friendliness, and perl-centric, but do
not include location.  the tradition broke with houston's yapc, and
tpf hasn't looked back.  i think they'd even let portland host one
now, which is great.

i'd love to attend a local yapc. having attended many previous yapc's,
i'm awed by the amount of work the organizers do, and am hesitant to
overcommit myself by taking any large role in organizing one.

in short, potential local yapc organizers can count on my support and
my attendance, but sadly cannot count on large contributions of my
time to make it happen.
~jerry