SPUG: Let's host a YAPC (Or at least talk about it)

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Sun Oct 17 22:18:32 PDT 2010

While staffing the booth for The Perl Foundation at OSCON this year, I got to chatting with Chris Prather.  He's hosted a few Perl Oasis conferences and is heading up YAPC::NA 2011 (in Asheville, NC).  He knows a *LOT* about what it takes to propose a YAPC and make it happen.

And I started thinking that since Seattle is such a great place, that we could share some SPUGliness with the rest of the wider Perl community.

My scheming went something like this.  Instead of us making a bid with no expertise (completely cold), perhaps we could create a "sister city" arrangement where we could assist the Asheville team as "interns" so that we'd warm up and know what we needed to know when it comes to Seattle.

My modeling is akin to the joke about how surgeons get qualified to do an operation
  1. Watch one
  2. Assist one
  3. Do one

There are plenty of folks in SPUG who have achieved step 1.

And there are even folks who have achieved step 2.  (And even a newcomer to the area with significant experience.  Welcome new SPUGer.)

Are we ready for step 3?

We've got a deep Perl culture here, and a great destination city.  And it'll happen in 2012!

Augustina said she'd welcome the opportunity to couple another talk with hers.  I'll volunteer to lead a discussion at the meeting, sharing what I learned about how to pitch, manage, finance, and run a YAPC.  Please come with some ideas.  No commitments necessary now.  Just looking for a read on the pulse.

Michael

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!