SPUG: Off Topic - ISP recommendation in Ballard

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Mon Mar 29 13:00:06 PDT 2010

For the second time this year, I'm looking for an ISP in Ballard.
Recommendations?

Non-starters:

     Qwest - Monthly during January and February, their technical
support told me the same story: the DSLAM had known problems, they
knew I was getting unacceptable service.  Implication: they didn't
care, or didn't care enough to make it a priority.  After 2 months of
weekly calls, I dropped Qwest.

     CLEAR - In early March, I started this service.  Their marketing
sounds nice.  It is nice when it works.  Mobility sounds good, but was
moot for my usage patterns.  Many slow days.  Unpredictable speed even
with their top (unlimited speed) plan which promised 6 MB and
"guaranteed" 4 MB.  Most of the previous 3 days, I had NO SERVICE.
Not just slow or unpredictable -- COMPLETELY CRASHED.

I don't need much.  I don't do anything "extraordinary", even as a
techie.  I'm just a plain vanilla customer who wants a consistent
speed a little bit faster than normal.  1.5 MB would be OK if it
really was 1.5 (or 80% thereof), else 2-6 MB would help for Youtube
and Netflix buffering.

Thanks.

Please reply directly to me.  I'll summarize back to group in *one*
message to avoid too much OT discussion.

Thanks..

--
Michael R. Wolf
     All mammals learn by playing!