SPUG: OT: DNS Re: Suggestions for web crawler framework, toolkit, or reusable pieces?

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Fri Apr 23 19:42:53 PDT 2010

On Friday 23 April 2010 01:04, Ben Reser wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Fred Morris <m3047 at m3047.net> wrote:
> > Then again, there is bone strange. Have you tried this?
> >
> > dig www.facebook.com ns
> >
> > How about this?
> >
> > dig www.facebook.com soa
> >
> > Why? On all of the gods' and goddesses' green or blasted earth... why?
>
> What's so weird about that, they've delegated www.facebook.com.
> Probably delegated it to some sort of content distribution network.

Sure. Maybe. Lots of ways to do that. Why this one? Plus the distribution
isn't as good as the nameservers for facebook.com.

They could have CNAMEd it, that would've been an option. That's what visa.com
and fbi.gov do (Akamai). (fbi.gov however doesn't even CNAME... Fail!)

Here's another way to do it:

dig www.bankofamerica.com a

dig bankofamerica.com a

Why? Just sayin'.

Thanks to my current job, I know more about the pecularities of DNS practica
than anyone needs to know...

--

Fred